Henry van Veldhuizen
ARREAU - Accelerating Resource Recovery from Water Cycle (AG108)
ARREAU develops market plans for viable and profitable value chains for resources from the water cycle. We build on existing cutting edge initiatives in several regions in Europe, where resources with a high added value are produced, such as phosphorus and cellulose from wastewater and iron and calcium carbonate residuals from drinking water. This contributes to increasing resource efficiency and creates jobs and market opportunities for the European industry and SMEs. Although the techniques and therefore resources are available in the water cycle, widespread production of resources fall far behind its potential. The activities in the water cycle are run by utilities, not used to commercially develop products and bringing these to a highly competing –price, quality, service, security of supply- market. We review current European initiatives and best practices of resource recovery and reuse. Barriers and constraints for resource recovery and reuse are identified. We explore the key success factors of resource value chains with all engaged stakeholders. The outcomes are used to develop frameworks that can be used to remove bottlenecks and enable successful resource recovery in other regions in Europe and beyond.
Specific actions of ARREAU are:
- Review current European initiatives and best practices of resource recovery from the water cycle and value chains.
- Identify success factors for viable and profitable value chains of recovered resources.
- Identify barriers, constraints and requirements for implementation of value chains.
- Develop market plans to exploit and commercialize opportunities for recovered resources and for the enabling technologies.
- Define and implement an effective and well-targeted communication and dissemination strategy.
Video's and downloads
- Video: Struvite, the market champion of phosphorus recovery from wastewater
- Video: Why, how and what
- Video: Legal constraints to selling struvite - and why we continue to produce it
- Video: Struvite recovery, we pay less for sludge withdrawal - and we do not have to buy energy
- Arreau review best practices